Pawsey Training: Perth
9:00am - 4:00pm
This training introduces Pawsey supercomputing and cloud resources and presents how to use those resources to aid researchers’ work. There is a minimal charge for each session.
Dates: Wednesday and Thursday 11-12 March 2020
University of Western Australia
Reid Library Learning Space
The Hemsley Learning Suite
35 Stirling Highway
Perth WA 6009
The following training sessions are available:
Day 1: Wednesday 11th March 2020
09:00–09:30 Introduction to Pawsey
This session is free and outlines the services that Pawsey Supercomputing Centre provides.
09:30–12:00 Introduction to Unix
- Learn why and when to use the command line
- Useful commands needed to undertake common tasks at Pawsey
- Task Automation through scripting
- Pre-requisites: None
- Attend if: You are unfamiliar with the Linux command line
- Do not attend if: You are familiar with Linux commands, such as mkdir, nano/vim, grep
13:00–16:00 Introduction to supercomputing
- Introduction to Pawsey’s supercomputers: Magnus and Zeus
- Learn about supercomputing (parallel computing, workflows, jobs)
- Working in a multi-user environment (queues, shared filesystems)
- Requesting access to Pawsey resources and checking usage
- Pre-requisites: Introduction to UNIX
- Attend if: Your research is compute or data intensive
- Do not attend if: Cloud computing meets your needs
Day 2 : Thursday 12th March 2020
09:00–12:00 Nimbus research cloud training
- Securely accessing, configuring and launching a Nimbus instance
- Managing and maintaining your Nimbus instance
- Configuring storage for your Nimbus instance
- Pre-requisites: Familiarity with the command line interface
- Attend if:
- You have research needs that require more compute or storage resources than your local laptop/desktop or institution currently provides
- You will manage virtual machines or services within the Pawsey cloud service.
13:00–16:00 Remote Visualisation
- Learning why and when to use remote visualisation
- Using Pawsey web-based remote visualisation
- Introduction to ParaView (ParaView is a large-scale scientific visualisation application)
- Visualising large-scale data using ParaView
- Introduction to ParaView scripting
- Pre-requisites: Introduction to UNIX, bring your own laptop
- Attend if:
- You have complex data sets, or very large datasets generated from supercomputers that need to be efficiently visualised
- Do not attend if: you are intending to remotely visualise data generated from Nimbus research cloud
- You are expected to bring and work on your own laptop.
- Courses are delivered in a face to face classroom style.
- Light refreshments and lunch will be provided on each day.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your training session.
- Places are limited.
How to register, fees and payment:
Each session has a $25 fee, except for the Introduction to Pawsey session.
Registration and payment can be made via our Centre Agent, CSIRO here
Note: Registration is not available with Internet Explorer, please use alternative browser such as Firefox or Chrome.
- In the event that the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre cancels the training sessions due to an ill instructor or unforeseen circumstance, the cost of the course will be refunded in full or alternatively rescheduled to a later date.
- Payment is required 7 days prior to the training sessions.
- A full refund will be provided if we receive written notification 7 working days prior to the training sessions?
- A 50% refund will be provided if we receive written notification 5 working days prior to the training sessions. Cancellations received less than 5 working days before the course, are not entitled to a refund.
- In the event you are not able to attend, your registration can be transferred to another person.
- Refunds will not be provided for a “no-show” on the day.
If you have any queries please email email@example.com
Parking is always at a premium on the UWA Campus, so you are encouraged to use public transport or arrive early.
Please use the calendar link below to add the dates to your calendar.