The Pawsey Supercomputing Centre is pleased to announce the Pawsey Summer Internship Program: Call for Projects is NOW OPEN!
In step with Pawsey’s $70 million infrastructure refresh, the 2020/2021 Pawsey Summer Internship Program has been refreshed!
Over the next 3 years, the Pawsey Summer Internship Program will focus on research projects targeting:
Computational science Next-generation computing
Data science Machine learning
Grand Challenge* problems Visual analysis
*Projects focused on making a significant impact on a given scientific computing discipline.
What remains the same is the calibre of projects we’re seeking and our Internship goals – enabling undergraduate students to develop skills through immersion in computing research projects.
The timeframe for project submissions is:
- 21st August – Applications for Projects Open
- 21st September – Applications for Projects Close (10am WST)
- Mid October – Projects Selected; Intern-Project Matching Process
- Late October – Intern-Project Matching Complete
- 23 November 2020 – Internship Starts
- 12 February 2021 – Internship Finishes
Co-funding is a requirement in this year’s Program to enable the Internship Program to grow. This co-funding model has been successful in previous years.
Pawsey will continue to provide training, albeit virtually, at the start of the Program and at intervals throughout. Topics include introductions to supercomputing, data management and scientific visualization, good practices for scientific communication and poster creation, and more.
Projects will be expected to:
- Make available sustainable, virtual working arrangements for the intern(s), if needed
- Have a supervisor(s) be available for the intern, for the entire duration of the Program
- Support their intern in the attendance at Pawsey required virtual training
- Notify Pawsey immediately of any interruptions to the project and/or the intern’s progress
- Work with the intern to produce a project report and poster at Program completion
- Provide regular progress updates
Applications close at 10am WST on the 21st September! If you would like to apply, please complete the application form below.
Please note, if you click ‘save and continue’, you must scroll to the bottom of this page when it refreshes to note your token URL to resume your submission. You can also use this opportunity to email the token URL to yourself.