The Pawsey Supercomputing Centre (Pawsey), as an unincorporated joint venture between Western Australia’s four public universities and which is also funded by the Commonwealth and State governments, manages its resources based on different contractual obligations. Therefore, the Centre is accountable for the way resources are spent and needs to comply with each partner’s terms and conditions.
Pawsey receives many requests for support from a wide variety of organisations every year. The following guidelines have been established to address conference and event requests for Pawsey.
Only applications that have been submitted on or before the deadline and those that meet the assessment criteria further outlined will be considered for support.
Based on previous experience, it has been decided to open this call twice a year. The first deadline for requests is early June, with a second call closing late January.
The form will be then available through the year, but the panel will meet the first week of June and last week of January every year.
Pawsey will not normally directly and/or broadly sponsor an event. This includes “Gold” sponsorships, conference dinners, poster sessions and the like.
Each request will be carefully assessed to determine if it meets Pawsey’s objectives. Requests for support that do not fit within these objectives will not be considered.
In addition, budgetary constraints will limit the number of opportunities that can be undertaken to support; Pawsey will normally only be able to provide in-kind support. In that regard, Pawsey could offer support:
- By covering presenter expenses, such as travel and accommodation, when the topic and/or expertise is aligned with the Pawsey mission and/or specifically addresses Pawsey-relevant audiences
- By paying for services required to successfully run the event, such as catering, venue, awards, etc
- By providing a speaker from Pawsey staff, which may include their travel and accommodation expenses
- By purchasing a booth or similar, to promote Pawsey services
The maximum amount of in-kind support that Pawsey will grant via this process is $6,000 (+ GST)
All applications will be evaluated according to the criteria set out below.
- May take the form of provision of material goods or services
- Consists of above in exchange for agreed acknowledgement/ opportunities to present/ other promotional opportunities
- May be between one or more organisations
Rules of engagement
Responsibility for coordination of Pawsey Conference/Event support lies with Pawsey’s Marketing and Events team. Each proposal will be assessed on a merit basis according to the criteria of the time. Requests must be submitted addressing the criteria set out in this document before the deadline and with at least six weeks of lead time before the date of the event.
Pawsey will only agree to support conference and events that:
- Are consistent with the Pawsey vision and mission
- VISION: To be a world leader in accelerating scientific discovery through technology, expertise and collaboration
- MISSION: To use our expertise to deliver internationally recognised high-performance computing and data services that enables high impact research for the benefit of society, industry and our environment
- Addresses Pawsey’s target audiences – the Pawsey user base, specific research communities, technical audiences, Flagship Centres of Excellence, Partner Institutions etc
- Helps achieve our objective to increase awareness of Pawsey and more generally the impact of supercomputing
Proposals will be ranked based on the criteria.
Successful applicants must provide Pawsey with:
- Proof of acknowledgement (e.g. website/program/social media)
- Materials for cross-promotion of event
- Final report/event wrap-up with the number of attendees and names if appropriate
- Any relevant feedback regarding Pawsey’s involvement
Applications are now open for the 2019/20 second round. It will close on June 26, 2020
Please note: Once you submit your proposal you should receive a confirmation email confirming your submission. Please be aware that if do not receive an email confirmation you should email us at email@example.com as we haven’t received your application.