Call for 2021/22 Pawsey Summer Interns – Opening mid July 2021!
We invite students ready to challenge themselves to apply to the 2021/2022 Pawsey Summer Internship Program.
The 2021/2022 Pawsey Summer Internship Program seeks enthusiastic students to commit to giving their best to this 10-week Program. In return, the Program offers students a paid internship focused on building skills and experience in computational science and research projects.
The Internship Program lasts for 10 weeks during the approximated timeframe 29 November 2021 – 18 February 2022.
During this time, interns work alongside national and/or international supervisors and collaborators.
Interns will also learn from Pawsey Supercomputing Centre staff about good practices of using Pawsey resources, good practices for video and poster creation & presentation, techniques for scientific communication, and more.
The Internship program includes (virtual) induction trainings. Through these trainings, interns will learn more about supercomputing, data management and scientific visualization. With the support of Intern Mentors, interns will also form a Community of Practice with other interns.
The Internship Projects
Applicants will rank their top 4 projects, from a listing to be provided in July.
Applicants will be assessed on several criteria, including the matching of their skills to specific project skills & location requirements (if any).
The Key Dates
- June – Call for Intern Projects Opens
- July –
- Call for Intern Projects Close
- Call for Intern Applications Opens
- August – Call for Intern Applications Close
- September – Shortlisted Interns Notified
- October – Interns & Projects Confirmed
- 29 November* 2021 – Internship Starts
- 18 February* 2022 – Internship Finishes
What’s it like?
If you’re wondering what it is like to take part in a Pawsey internship, check out the 2020/2021 internship videos.
As a condition of award, Pawsey Interns are expected to:
- Be available for the entire duration of the Internship Program
- Attend the in-person or virtual training series throughout the internship
- Make satisfactory progress across the internship period, submitting short weekly updates
- Submit a project poster and video
- Participate fully, each day & in the Pawsey Friday event (planned for 18 February 2022)
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a National Police Check (NPC) as part of CSIRO’s on-boarding requirements. The cost of an NPC is between $55 – $75 if obtained via Australia Post or the Australian Federal Police. Keep your receipt to be reimbursed.
- To be able to accept an offer, vacation students must be Australian citizens or Permanent Residents, or must have an appropriate visa issued by the Department of Immigration.
- Only students who have NOT participated previously in a Pawsey Summer Internship Program are eligible to apply.
Application forms are available via CSIRO jobs site, to be released in mid July.